Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

DRAWING// THE ART OF LENAH MARIA-LOUISA DE WIT

















































































































































What is it about art that transports us to that precise moment of knowing? There is something about Lenah's art that draws you in. Her drawings are stylish and beautiful- leaving you craving for more.

A: What are your current interests?
LM: Well, if I started to talk about what is interesting me at this time in my life I could go on for a few hours, so I'll keep it a bit basic. I love photography but I really need to know more about it. There are lots and lots of young talented photographers that I would love to discover. That also counts for the rest of the art world. I could say I'm basicly interested in people that fascinate me even if that's in a bad way. If someone gives me that feeling, I could say he/her is a new interest.

A: What areas of art do you specialize in and what areas would you like to explore further?
LM: Personally I love to illustrate people. People with a nice expression on their faces. People who aren't perfect at all.
I like to make them look very characteristic without making cartoons of them (or i try not to do that haha). When I was younger I loved to paint, so when you ask me what I want to explore further I think it will be painting...really something I want to start with again.

A: Themes and subjects?
LM: My themes are almost always people. Famous or not. You and me. The Queen. Doesn't matter. If I see a photo that gives me a certain feeling I start to sketch it. Sometimes I draw everything like it is. Sometimes I draw partly the person from the picture and I make up the rest that it becomes someone totally different. So subjects are// P E O P L E...and ordinary days.

A: When did you start drawing?
LM: I don't know - probably like every kid I started finger painting when I was around 2. I always liked paper and pencils, so let's say it always was the thing I did when I wanted to relax or was bored, for as long as I remember.

A: Future plans and projects?
LM: Well, in September I'm going to go back to school. Illustration at St. Lucas here in Antwerp, after a year of not really doing anything. For the rest I'm going to draw some things for a zine, and just prepare for September, when my life, full of obligations, starts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment